Princeton European Fertility Project:
Definitions of Proportion of Females Ever Married at Age 50
The countries in the following list have the proportion of women aged 50 who have ever been married, in cols. 50-54 of the data records in the Master File. If data were not available by single year of age, the average of the proportions ever-married at ages 45-49 and ages 50-54 was used. Exceptions to this definition are noted below. Those countries not listed below do not have data on the proportion ever-married at age 50. The two-digit number preceding the country name is the country identifier found in columns 1-2 of the master file.
- 03 Belgium - ever-married aged 45-49 was used.
- 04 Denmark (All Series) - standard definition, except in 1960. In 1960, proportion ever-married at ages 45-49 was estimated by a complex procedure using currently married data for the combined urban and rural populations. In Series 1, for 1960, the regional total, urban and rural proportions ever-married are weighted averages of the proportions for the component provincial proportions, where the urban and rural populations of the provinces were used as weights.
- 05 England and Wales - Currently married at age 45-49.
- 07 France - Proportion ever-married at ages 50 and over was used for years 1851 through 1901.
- 09 Germany
- Series 0 - standard definition; available only for selected years.
- Series 2 - not available for West Germany. For East Germany and the entire country, ever-married at age 45-49 was used.
- 10 Ireland - from 1871 to 1911, currently married at age 45-49 was used.
- 11 Italy - ever-married aged 50-54.
- 15 Portugal - ever married 50-54.
- 17 Scotland - currently married 45-49.
- 18 Spain (Series 0) - ever-married aged 50-60, in years 1787, 1887 and 1900.
- 20 Switzerland - ever-married 45-49.
- 22 Bulgaria (All Series) - Ever-married 45-49.
- 23 Czechoslovakia (All Series) - Ever-married 45-49.
- 24 Hungary (Series 0 and 1) - Ever-married 45-49.
- 25 Rumania (All Series)
- Series 0 and 2 - Ever-married 45-49.
- Series 1 - Estimated from country totals and therefore inaccurate.
- 26 Yugoslavia(Series 0 and 1) - Ever-married 45-49.